February 12, 2019 - Douglas Myser

New tax form will surprise you. With the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, comes new tax software and new tax forms. You 2018 federal income tax return will be unlike much of what you've seen in the past. We're looking at a wide array of major changes--and plenty of tripwires--under the new tax laws. But some sensible, first steps can help you fight the anxiety and tackle your taxes. New tax form will surprise you, but some simple planning can make it much easier. The IRS tax deadline is April 15th. The earliest the Internal Revenue Service will accept returns is January 28th, 2019. Before you even think  about trying to understand the new tax rules, though, try to remember what's new in your own life. Did you have a baby in 2018 ? Buy a new house ? Get a new job ? Retire ? New tax form will surprise you.

New things in your life last year could mean a whole new set of paperwork this year when it comes to your taxes. Here's a quick to do list. Grab a copy of last years tax returns. If you compare it to this form, the new tax form will surprise you. The tax rules have changed dramatically and we've got a 1040 form with a new look. But your old return for the 2017 tax year can be a road map for making sure you've gathered all the paperwork you need to file your 2019 tax return. Maybe you took a new job in March or April ? Do your have two W-2 forms ? The one for your current job and the one you need from the old job you worked for a few months ? We are finding some people actually owe more money under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changes. If you are one of the unlucky ones in this category, we can help you thru our Tax Resolution Services, and determine every option for Tax Relief, including the IRS Fresh Start Program.

Find valid Social Security numbers that you will need. Make sure to have the accurate Social Security numbers for you and your spouse as well as your children. Did you have a baby in 2018 ? You need the newborn's Social Security number for your tax return. Take along your drivers license, too. Some tax preparers will ask you for a drivers license or state identification number to prove you are who you say you are. In addition, some states will reject an efile state returns if you don't submit information from a drivers license. States that currently require drivers license information are Alabama, Connecticut, New Mexico, New York, and Ohio.